Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Predicting the 2012 Texans: 9-7

Two caveats to this prediction:

1. I'm assuming the team stays moderately healthy.  If Schaub or Foster or another offensive linemen goes down all bets are off.
2. I'm not a Texans fan, I just follow them because I live in Houston and they're the "local" team.  I'll do a San Fran prediction post later in the year.


With that out of the way, here we go:

1. Miami - Win
The Fins are going to be terrible this year.  If the Texans don't win this game (at home) with a rookie QB starting for the opposition then hold on to your butts.

2. @Jacksonville - Win
See Miami. Even on the road this should be a win.  Although Maurice Jones-Drew will probably be back on the field and the Bulls on Parade has struggled slowing this guy down.

3. @Denver - Loss
It's not that I'm a big believer in Peyton Manning, it's that I'm not that big a believer in the Texans DB's outside of Joseph.  Plus, Denver is a tough road win.

4. Titans - Win
At home, against an average team, the Texans should win. Period.

5. @ NY Jets - Loss
I really think the Jets will have their backs against the wall in this game.  That's my reasoning behind this. Plus, the Texans are not a team (in the Kubiak era) that have gong on long winning streaks against tough teams.

6. Green Bay - Loss
I just think that Green Bay is better.

7. Baltimore - Win
Too many questions for Baltimore.  I think their defense is going to be a shell of its former self this year with all of the injuries.

8. Bills - Win
The top billing for this game is going to be "The revenge of Mario Williams."  Given his past performances that means he'll have two tackles instead of one.  Stupor Mario does not produce against good teams. Plus, the Texans are coming off their bye week which should help.

9. @Chicago - Loss
I'm pretty high on Chicago this year.  I think they're a wildcard team in the NFC.  Plus, the Windy City in November portends an elements game.

10. Jacksonville - Win
I didn't see Jacksonville beating the Texans in Florida, I don't see them doing it in Texas.

11. @Detroit - Loss
This is basically a swing game for me.  I see the Texans and Lions as about equals talent wise.  The difference is I don't see the Lions making the playoffs because their division is much tougher.

12. @Tennessee - Loss
It's very rare (and unheard of for the Texans) to run through your division undefeated.  This is the most likely spot for a loss.

13. @ New England - Loss
I really don't need to explain this one right?

14. Colts - Win
Luck is getting better, but Schaub and the Texans eke one out. Unfortunately they get the Colts late so this could be the difference between the playoffs, and staying home.

15. Vikings - Win
Even as someone who's not that high on the Texans, I can't envision a scenario where the Vikings beat them in Houston.  If the Texans lose this game the season has gone way off the rails.

16. @Colts - Win
Here's the thing, I think the Texans still need this game to make the playoffs.  Unlike last year when the starters took the game off and Indy stunk one out.


Final Result:  9-7  1st place AFC South.

The prevailing thought in Houston is that the Texans are going to be better because of two things:

1. They have Matt Schaub back
2. Andre Johnson is back

Neither of these things is a sure thing and #2 is only likely to be true for 1/2 the season.

These pie-in-the-sky overlook some deep deficiencies in this team that aren't being reported on by the Rah! Rah! group at ChronBlog.  To start, the right side of the offensive line is suspect, with no depth.  If your starting Right Guard is one year removed from being a 7th round draft pick you've got problems.  Add to this a suspension of belief in the greatness of Foster, injury concerns, no faith in the DB's and a "meh" attitude about the coaching staff and you end up with a 9-7 prediction.

On the bright side: I still think that's good enough for the Texans to win the division and make the playoffs.