Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Out with '13, in with '14.

Tonight, a number on the calendar will flip and Millions of people will head out to bars where they'll pay much money for pedestrian sparkling wine in clubs that are too crowded to dance in while other people who have overpaid for the same sparkling wine will slosh it all over them.

This apparently, is all done in the name of fun.

We like fun here at Your Drink Order Please and wish everyone well in having it, we hope that those of you who are of a clubbing persuasion as the year rolls over take the time to pre-plan your revelry and designate a driver or procure a limousine or a cab for the evening.  Safety first ladies, gentlemen and the rest of you.  Safety first.

For many, the New Year is a time of resolution, a chance to make promises to yourself for a better life or, if you work for the media, a time to make promises regarding the tax money of others. It's also a time for predictions (which, if they come true, require no apologizing for), remembrances and some mile lecturing. The thread running through all of these is that they, on some level, hope for things to be "better" provided you define better as "the way I want things to be" that is.

Now, you might think this post is yet another missive on how horrific New Year's Eve really is. You could not be further from the mark.  I like New Year's because it's the best day in the world for College Football (at least, it used to be, before ESPN ruined it.) it's a day for most to spend with family (and, given the state of society we NEED time with our families) and it's a time of hope (we all know we need hope). So New Year's for me is a grand thing. I just choose to spend it at home, marveling at the devolution of New Year's Eve television.

All of this brings me to the point of this post, which are things that I'm hoping to see in the New Year. These are not predictions mind you, or resolutions. Instead they're hopeful thinking on my part.

First, I'd like to see the return of common sense in society.  We've devolved to a point where it's not all that common to find common sense any longer.  I'd also like to see a modicum of professionalism in our politicians. I'd like to see a return of the media in a true watchdog role, and I'd like them to remember that they're supposed to have a natural distrust of the system.  I'd like to see a return of civility, and the ability of people to admit when they are wrong. It'd be nice to see an end to the forced apology, but even my optimism has limits.  I'd like to see Houston's leadership remember the things that got it on all of those "best cities" lists and try to partially return to them.  Finally, what I'd most like to see is America remember what it is that made her great, and take some real steps to return to those principles.

Minus that, I'd like to see more of the inside of a gym, and for someone to finally invent a calorie-free pizza that tastes great.  Hangover-free alcohol would also be on the list. I'm not getting any younger.

For the blog, I'd like to see a time when I can turn comments back on. I don't miss them but I do miss letting people weigh in with meaningful talk, rather than just passive-aggressive chastisements that I don't think as they do.  I'd also like to see many fun stories that will keep me in content.  I've a feeling I won't be let down on the latter.

Happy New Year, thanks for reading.