Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Picks vs. Reality (Week 4)

So, How'd I do?  And do I owe John McClain an apology or no?

Pick: Titans 10 @ Texans 27
Reality: Titans 14 @ Texans 38
If anything, I under-stated just how bad the Titans were, and things get knocked out of whack when a starting QB went down.  Still. 1-0

Pick: Vikings 24 @ Lions 13
Reality: Vikings 20 @ Lions 13
Not too bad.  This game played out just as I thought it would. 2-0

Pick: Panthers 7 @ Falcons 35
Reality: Falcons 30 @ Panthers 28
Way off on the score, but I got the W/L correct.  Since I'm not a handicapper I don't do point spreads, but I was surprised by the Panthers offense in this one.  It's an ugly 3-0 but I'll take it.

Pick: 49'ers 27 @ Jets 3
Reality: 49'ers 34 @ Jets 0
Reality is pretty ugly for the Jets right now.  4-0

Pick: Seahawks 24 @ Rams 20
Reality: Seahawks 13 @ Rams 19
Not sure what to make of this one.  I thought the Seahawks should handle St. Louis but they looked terrible. 4-1

Pick: Saints 20 @ Packers 41
Reality: Saints 27 @ Packers 28
The Saints are already in panic mode, perhaps the Packers should be.  I watched a lot of this game and neither team is any good.  Again, it's ugly, but I'll take 5-1

Pick: Redskins 13 @ Buccaneers 6
Reality: Redskins 24 @ Buccaneers 22
All in all not too bad.  But I was surprised the Redskins let the Bucs score that much.  Neither team is any good. 6-1

Pick: Bears 27 @ Cowboys 24
Reality: Bears 34 @ Cowboys 18
It's hard to predict a 5 INT game, but that's what Tony Romo served up last night to the Bears.  The Cowboys need to gut this thing and start over but, given their owners super-sized ego, there's little chance of that happening.

Final results: 7-1 for the same games John McClain of the Chron was 5-3.

So I don't owe an apology to the General, and he did do a good job on the picks he got right.  It still feels like he's picking based on how he felt the teams were at the start of the season, as opposed to what's been playing out in live games.  This suggests that the Chron's NFL "expert" is not watching a lot of NFL football.

Neat, one-week experiment which I think I'll let go.  Will probably keep picking 8 games per week however, for no other reason than I want to track how I do.