Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Post Blow Things Up Because 'Merica Day.

July 4th is my least favorite holiday.

I'm not a fan of fireworks, I find John Philip Sousa marches to be unlistenable (not to mention "Proud to be an American" which I think is the worst song ever) and I tire of people who spend the rest of the year poo-poohing our country acting like it's the greatest place in the world for one day.

All that said, as a military history buff, I love me some Revolutionary War documentaries so it's not all that bad. When those aren't on I can typically be found watching the Tour de France. In fact, I wish our Country had better relations with France (our REAL oldest ally). Because when we paired with them we founded a country and broke free of British rule, and it produced the greatest moments in our Nation's history.

But now, we head into the long, dog, days of Summer and start to turn our attention to my least-favorite American spectacle, the party conventions.

There is nothing ever any good that comes from these. It's an endless parade of the most gormless among us, dressed in their garish worst jumping up and down to speeches given by people who, for the rest of their lives, care less about them.

Our politicians want three things. Money, power and to be re-elected.

And that's pretty much it.

So as the nation turns it's eyes to the political conventions, and as the electorate prepares to nominate the two worst Presidential candidates in a generation, I bid you adieu.

Goodbye, etc.

Enjoy your political season, I'm going to be getting ready for football.