Saturday, March 28, 2015

Texas Leadership Vacuum: We don't understand it. Let's Ban it!

Texas, your elected idiots are at it again.....

Lawmakers trying to ban powdered alcohol before it reaches Texas. David Saleh Rauf, HoustonChronicle.com ($$$)

The pertinent quote:

"I've never in my life seen powdered alcohol, but it scares the heck out of me and I've got a big concern," said state Rep. Roland Gutierrez, a San Antonio Democrat, who sits on the panel considering the bill. "I think the rest of the committee has a big concern."

The purpose of this post isn't to pick on Democrats, that quote comes from the Houston Chronicle. The article (and I suggest you go read the entire thing) states that the main driver of this movement is Rep. Charlie Geren, a Republican.

So, the next time you hear Republicans like Geren talk about "limited government" and how dedicated they are to the free markets remember nonsense like this.  Most elected politicians, even Republicans, have a first instinct within them to legislate and create new laws.

Even stupid laws like this, with no basis in fact or reality.