Friday, September 02, 2011

UH losing out again?

Poor Houston, just when they think their seat at the B(C)S table is all but assured, along comes today's news that several conferences have been talking to OU and, by extension, OSU.

What this means is that the Big XII (IX 1/2) is soon to be the Big no more, which also means that UH's ticket to big boy land is no more as well. Unless, that is, they took my advice and sent out feelers to the Big East, and are aggressively courting each and every available option.

At this point, were I over at UH, I'd even start approaching the ACC, which surely has teams that are going to be poached and is going to have to expand to remain viable. What I see happening is that the Mountain West, SEC, Big X (XII), Pac-12, Big East and ACC are left standing as the only conferences that matter. The WAC, C-USA and Sun Belt are going to be left sucking up table scraps. (Oh, and then there's the MAC, but they're just a regional schedule stuffer for Big X (XII) teams so they don't really count.)

I still think that the Big East is the best available option for UH when and if they look to expand. If the Big XII (IX 1/2) comes calling I'd say thanks but no thanks and let that mess of a conference implode on its own. Start planning for the future now, a future that doesn't involve the Big XII (IX 1/2) as I see it.