Friday, August 07, 2009

Football Friday (Part 1)

Finally, Football.

After weeks of starting, and then deleting, ANOTHER post about the Houston Astros or how ESPN has an East Coast bias or about overly bouyant swimsuits we can finally get down to a sport I enjoy writing about that's not Futbol.

The off-season is hard, because I'm not terribly equipped to do hard research, and well...fantasy projections are about as boring to me as my political blog is to you. But actual on-the-field football however, including season predictions, are about as fun as it gets.

I realize the old saying is "predictions are for fools" and if that's the case then you can call me a football predicting fool. Do I expect to be 'correct'? I don't know, because there's a lot of stuff that might happen during a season, injuries, hurricanes, that I can't foresee that could throw everything out of wack. Then there's the "give up" factor that occurs with some teams late in a failed season that totally changes the dynamic of a schedule.

When you DO get it right however, that's when picking games is fun.

With that in mind the crack staff at 3CB (myself and a bottle of bourbon) are going to put forth our predictions for the following teams over the next few days:


1. The University of Houston Cougars. - They're going first because they are (sorta') my alma mater (UH-Downtown to be exact) and I feel obligated to give them the hole-shot. (Cute baby, terrible fight song)


2. Georgia - Glory, Glory to ol' Georgia! One of my favorite College Football team and one that I've got no connection to whatsoever. That being said I've pulled for the Bulldogs since I was very young.


3. Oklahoma State - My Grandfather's Alma Mater and another of my favorites. Neither I (nor my late Grandfather) was a big fan of the Gundy hiring, I still pull for OSU against pretty much everyone.


4. LSU - To be honest, I just like the football environment at LSU. I typically pull for them in the SEC unless they are playing Georgia.


5. The Big XII - Since I live in Texas, I'll make some predictions on the conference. Outside of Okie State however I've got no rooting interest except that Art Briles loses. (I was not a Briles fan when he coached at UH FWIW. As a matter of fact, one of the reasons I lost interest in the Cougars is due to Briles brand of Ole' defense and the way he handled the team. Sumlin is slowly winning back my interest.) My money however? Nope, not from this (sorta) alum. Too many burnt bridges.


6. Michigan. - Because, really, when you get down to it Football in my house is all about The University of Michigan vs. The Ohio State University. Yes, the Maize and Blue have fallen on hard times of late and the entire Country is getting a big yuk out of their being the whuppin' boys for Appelachian State and Dayton. These things take time and I still think Rich Rodriguez is the guy to bring Michigan back to prominence. Yes, I would have preferred to have Harbaugh wearing the headphones but that's OK. Michigan will be back eventually and all will be well. (just maybe not this year)


Heck, I might even get to recording that oft promised pod cast this season. I'm ready for some College Football.


Oh, and to keep peace in the household....
(Posted under duress) Good fight song though