Friday, May 06, 2016

BadMedia: Fictionalizing the news.

I do not personally believe that this story ever really happened.

Using a Target Bathroom Just Got Really Uncomfortable, Really Fast. Ellie Delano, SheKnows

The outer door opened, and someone came in. She walked past the three open stalls and stood directly in front of my door. Then she leaned over and placed her eye firmly up against the gap between the door and the frame and stared in at me.
I am not making this up. And let me tell you, it was awkward. Bizarre, even. This wasn't a case of someone hoping all those occupied stalls aren't really occupied. Mine was the only stall that was occupied. She deliberately stopped and stared in at me. My startled eyes met hers, and she moved away, into one of the larger stalls.
I got out of my stall as quickly as I could, and as I stood washing my hands, her voice called out.
"Sorry about that," she said. "But you know, Target lets men and homosexuals use just any bathroom now. I was making sure you were a woman."

Seriously?

Because, we are starting to read stories like this all the time. Cases where 'enlightened' progressives run into the common class, unwashed as they are, and have their worst stereotypes consistently enforced. They then get to have their superiority moment with a relation (in this case, the woman's daughter is a lesbian, and they got to have a good Yuk, Yuk moment and call her names) before hastily beating a path online to write about it and moralize.

It's most probable that this is a fantasy wholly dreamed up in the author's mind.  And I'm sure she believes it, and might even pass a lie detector test.

But I doubt it happened as it's being recounted and you should too. We'll all be better off in these times if we apply a healthy dose of  skepticism to everything these days. And yes, I'm including first-person right wing accounts of Progressives behaving badly.

The fact is most people are just trying to get through their work-a-day lives without being too bothered so they can go home and eat dinner, watch TV, and try to figure out what in the hell their kids are learning with common core math.

So if you read a story where the foil appears to have come straight out of central casting?

It's most probable that they have.