Sunday, March 22, 2009

NCAA Tourney: The Chalk

Looking at The Bracket running a chalk (where all of the favorites advance) bracket this year could be a winning formula.

One streak alive: Arizona (12 seed) advancing to the Sweet 16, which marks the 23rd consecutive time at least on team seeded lower than 10th made it to the "third round". The only other 'underdog' to advance is Purdue (5th seed) who won their second round game over 4th seeded Washington.

This weekend was tough for me. Michigan (10 seed) lost badly to OU and OSU (9 seed) gave my eventual pick for the Champion pick all they could handle. This game was made worse by the fact that my late Grandfather was an OSU grad. Because of this I have a rooting interest in the Cowboys. In the end, their loss to Pitt was bitter-sweet.

Still, the chalk was (mostly) how I went on this bracket, I picked some upsets in the first round but few in the second. I admit that I didn't have Arizona getting out of the first round. Ah well. My final four is still intact, as are seven of my elite 8 teams. Life is good in bracketland.